Since its creation in 2019, at the initiative of the CEREGE management, the Parity Unit has been organising actions to reduce gender inequalities in the laboratory. These actions are structured in 3 stages: Measure, Understand, Act.
A comparative situation document between women and men in the laboratory is published every year since 2019. The following parameters are measured by gender and body:
- Age pyramid
- Career development
- Supporting projects
The share of women in the following events is also monitored:
- Guest seminars
- Thesis, post-doc and ATER recruitment
This situation is put into perspective with regard to data from the CNRS and AMU.
Where there is systemic inequality (i.e. not cyclical):
- Our successes are not only due to our efforts or our talent.
- Inequality is the result of multiple factors which are related to the private, educational and professional spheres, institutions, social protection systems, representations and stereotypes.
The unit organises several types of actions described here:
- Training on implicit gender biases and their effects, primarily for people with responsibilities in teams, platforms, committees, etc.etc (last in 2021, next in 2023): Training based on research results, proposed by Isabelle Régner (Vice-president for Equality between Women and Men and the Fight against Discrimination at AMU, and Professor at the Cognitive Psychology Laboratory, specialising in gender bias) and Magali Putero (project manager for the vice-president). Consists of 3 workshops of 2 hours each in groups of ~15.
- Training "OSER!" to remove the obstacles to women's careers in Higher Education and Research, offered to women from CEREGE, MIO and LAM. This programme is an adaptation of the Springboard programme for women adapted for Higher Education and Research in France. 12 participants/year. Great success in 2022. Next session to start in January 2023 and may be repeated each year (funding from laboratory management for 2022 and 2023). Support for the management of MOI, LAM and CEREGE.
- Mentoring for young female researchers from LAM, MIO, IMBE and CEREGEOrganised by the association Femmes & Science and supported by OSU PYTHEAS and AMU. 8 mentees for the 2022 programme. 12 mentees for the 2023 programme.
The OSER training and mentoring programme is organised in collaboration with our colleagues Guilaine Lagache (Astronomer, LAM) Stéphanie Barillon (CR CNRS MIO) and Elena Ormeno (CR CNRS IMBE).
- Equity Cafés and lunches for Women
The Cell Recommendation
Remain vigilant to ensure that at all levels women are present in a proportion that meets or exceeds their share of the workforce governance, team and platform management, seminars, grant allocation, setting up of recruitment committees, invited seminars, promotion proposals, recruitments, selection of funding applications, etc.
Parity Unit of the CEREGE:
In collaboration with:
Guilaine Lagache, Astronomer, LAM
Stéphanie Barillon, CR CNRS MI
Elena Ormeno, CR CNRS IMBE